Thursday, May 5, 2011

Rice Fabuloso

I am a cookbook junkie.  I love cookbooks just to read.

Recently some girls asked me to teach them to cook.  How do you teach someone to do what you love?  My mom cooked but didn't love it.  She made dinner so my brother and I would be quiet and stop gnawing on her leg.  She would never have made a recipe over and over just to get it right, which is what I have done with this recipe. This is in honor of my friend Karen who made the first recipe request for the blog.  Karen is a sweetheart.  She jumped in and fed 20 people for me one week when I was in a tight place.  She was nervous since she is used to preparing fabulous meals for her family of four not 20!  When I told her I had a super yummy recipe that was super easy, she made everything else and left the rice to me.  You're the best Karen. (I'll be calling you again)

Like almost all my recipes I tweak and make it easier for me if possible.  The first time I made this I was super nervous because they only good rice I made came out of a box. I sometimes add the carrots sometimes not.  As with most recipes if you like more garlic, cumin, etc... put it in.  I know there are a lot of favorite rices out there but my go to now is par-boiled.  I don't know if it is good for you.  I love brown rice but it never turns out.  Jasmine is yummy but it is always sticky (for me).  I'll experiment with healthier rice but for now here is my Mexican rice recipe.

Rice Fabuloso


2 cups chicken broth
1 can rotel
1 to 2 garlic cloves minced
2 tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 onion, chopped
1 cup raw par-boiled rice
1/2 cup minced carrots
pinch of ground cumin
pinch of black pepper
salt


Place the rotel in a food processor.  Puree and set aside. 3 or 4 pulses.  Heat oil in pan, add onions and saute until soft.  Add the rice and saute until it turns opaque without browning.  Add broth, puree, garlic, carrots, cumin, pepper and salt to taste. Stir. Bring rice to a boil and reduce the heat.  Cover tightly and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes.  Do not remove lid while cooking.  Turn off heat and allow to sit 5 minutes before stirring.  If there is liquid left put the lid back on and allow to sit 5 more minutes.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. Deanna - I'm looking forward to "cooking" with you! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoy taking the time to perfect a recipe. I just don't have it in me, so I'll just cook your tried & true recipes & people will hear of what a great cook you are when they compliment my food!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm super pumped for more yummy recipes!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete