Thursday, March 15, 2012

Bread Heaven




I love bread almost as much as I love my family.  I have been known run, hit and shove to get to hot rolls out of the oven.  Unfortunately it shows...

Last year I went to an auction where they had the most amazing rolls.  I was with two girlfriends who dared encouraged me to ask how they were made.  Not only were they AMAZING to taste they were the coolest rolls I had ever seen.  (Obviously, I am in love with bread.  Who else could talk about it this long??)

I timidly approached the man who had been introduced as the chef for the evening.  I graciously asked him if he would share with me how he shaped his rolls.  I offered him several credentials including, "I just love to cook." After he shared with me his technique I triumphantly sauntered back to the table to announce my victory.

As the congratulations died down my "friends" challenged me to go back and ask for the recipe.

Really?

I don't know if you have ever asked a chef for a recipe but it is a tiny bit intimidating.  I cook meatloaf and chicken enchiladas not prime rib and lobster.

To my surprise he was still in the room, so I had to take the challenge.  Here is the recipe from the chef to you.  I was shocked and acted very cool.


Here is the catch...double the yeast and butter.  

It comes with one yeast packet so buy another unless you buy yeast in bulk like me.  Shocking.  You can shape them anyway you like.  I have not made cinnamon rolls with them only dinner rolls and garlic knots. Yummy.

Garlic Knots

1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. dried minced garlic
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. black pepper
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. dried rosemary
1/8 tsp. red pepper

1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup butter melted

Mix all dry ingredients and store.

When ready to use, add dry ingredients to oil and butter.  May use as dipping sauce or pour over baked bread once finished.  Use dry ingredients to taste.

1 comment: