Tuesday, June 14, 2011

BTT


Big Truck Tacos!  If you haven’t been you need to go.  The biggest question is when.  I would say after lunch before dinner.  Maybe around 1 or 2.  Last time we were in we sat down at 11:45 on a Saturday and the line was out the door by 12:15.  If you don’t like crowds I would suggest you get it to go but don’t not go.

Obviously they have tacos.  All kinds.  I really like the fish tacos (Okie Baha).  They are made with tilapia.  I recently found out some places don’t really give you tilapia just some cheap white fish.  I certainly don’t believe BTT would ever do this but I wouldn’t really know any way.

I have had the Borracho Chicken, not my favorite.  It is marinated in beer and I think you can taste it.  Yuck in my opinion.  The other chicken taco (Chicken al Carbon) is rather bland.  I love love the Crispy ‘cado taco.  Who wouldn’t?  It is a fried avocado! Also like the beef taco (Beef al Carbon).

When we first started going I didn’t take my kids and I always ordered two tacos.  I have learned.  First, my kids love it.  The older boys share a chicken burrito.  It is as big as their head.  G-man gets a …. Cheese quesadilla.  Duh!  We all share the chips and queso.  The queso is one of the best things on the menu and so in order to feel ok about purchasing I take my kids and say it is for themJ  So now I take the kids but it is really still all about me.  Second, I only order one taco and since I have to choose and I would never make fish tacos at home I get the Okie Baha.

One of the most interesting finds is the flautas.  Sweet D always orders these now.  We can never remember if we like the chicken or the beef so we get a mix.  Then afterwards say, “The blank was really better than the blank.  We’ll have to remember next time.”

Salsa.  Now I could literally eat chips and salsa for breakfast, lunch and dinner.  I think they make their own chips and they are super good.  Most of the salsas are yummy but I would rub the green OMG all over my body.  I love it! I don’t like the name.  I found out it is a jalapeno puree.  I cannot tell you how badly I want the recipe.  You should try all the salsas.  If they are not all at your table just ask.  If you sit outside they will give you a basket of salsas.  Do not take the bottles outside because you will get in trouble and be embarrassed because then everyone knows it’s your first time.

One thing I do not love is they serve tongue.  Gross.  For this very reason I will never, I repeat, never order the 5th Amendment. You order this taco and just have to trust them.  I do trust BTT but I would throw up even the next day if I found out I had eaten tongue or beef heart or any part of an animal that do not believe people should consume.  Plus sometimes it isn’t even your normal meats.  They have served rabbit. Not my thing.  By the way, you can find out the next day on facebook what you ate the day before if you consume the 5th Amendment.

Last thing that I love about BTT other than it is an old Sonic (I think) is you get a plastic souvenir cup and you receive $0.50 off when you bring it back for a refill the next time you are in.

Located on 23rd street just east of Walker.  They are closed on Sunday and open at 7:30am M-Sat for breakfast.  They stay open until 12am Friday and Saturday night.  Join them on facebook and you can follow their truck around town. They really do still serve out of the truck several days a week.

1 comment:

  1. I also love the crispy-cado! Mmmm....think I need to go there again soon!

    Have you ever been to ND's? You should try it for lunch sometime, but take Danny so you can split a sandwich and have dessert. They make the best desserts and they're huge servings. They're on Britton road between May and Penn.

    ReplyDelete