Friday, May 13, 2011

Tavern Meatloaf

Some interesting information about me...

I love to cook and I like to watch other people cook.  Hum..not a shocker I am sure.  Foodnetwork is my friend.  We spend a lot of time together.  It's like a forever friend.  If I don't have time to watch, she is still there when I do have time.  

Unlike when I was young, you can watch TV 24/7.  I remember when cable first came to the boonies where we lived.  We no longer had to go to bed when the "regular channels" played the National Anthem with a waving flag on the screen.  Now, you can watch any time of day and if something is on when you don't have time...

DVR

Are you kidding?  How did I live without it?  Bonus, you can fast forward through parts you don't care for like, salmon patties and commercials.

One thing I do not DVR is "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" on Foodnetwork.  Mainly because I would fast forward through most of it.  Real Chefs like real weird stuff...usually.  However, one night Sweet D happen to be watching TV with me and this show was on.  I believe it was on comfort foods.  One person I do DVR is Ina Garten aka The Barefoot Contessa.  I love her food.  Yum.  She came on and started talking about meatloaf.  She took us (in the virtual world) to a restaurant where she has had the BEST meatloaf ever!  Of course it is in the Hamptons.  I don't know anyone who goes to the Hamptons, let alone to eat meatloaf.  After her segment is over Sweet D says, "That looked good!"  Really?  He doesn't eat meatloaf.  Then he says, "I don't eat meatloaf because I don't like vegetables in it."  I NEVER have put vegetables in meatloaf.  So the hunt began for the recipe because Mama loves meatloaf.

After an extensive search on the internet and about a week later...I find it on facebook of all places!

I have adjusted it to suit me.  Remember I tweak and make it easier (and cheaper) if I can.  The original calls for all kinds of organic items and specific expensive ingredients.  Now I haven't tasted the original but this meatloaf is good.  And guess what?  It does not contain tomato sauce or ketchup which I have concluded is what Sweet D was so opposed to.  On the meat, if you don't want to get pork fine just use beef.  The pork gives it a good texture.  Bread crumbs, I used garlic and butter croutons finely ground in the food processor because it is what I had and we liked it so I have continued to use them.

Last tip.  If you don't have a digital kitchen thermometer - buy one.  It is worth it's weight in gold.  I have even used it for science experiments:)

Tavern Meatloaf

2 lb. ground beef
1 lb. ground pork
1 stalk celery, finely diced
½ onion, finely chopped
½ tb. Dried Italian parsley
½ tb. Dried thyme leaves
½ tb. Dried chives
3 large eggs
1 1/3 c. breadcrumbs
2/3 c. milk
1 tb. Kosher salt
1 tb. Black pepper

Pre heat oven to 350.  Sauté onions and celery in olive oil over med-high heat until transparent.  (Let your pan heat then add oil, let it heat then add onions and celery)  Set aside and let cool.   Add to remaining ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix with your hands.  Line a baking pan (it should have sides) with parchment paper.  Make the meatloaf into a free form rectangular cylinder shape.  Pat it and punch it down and reform into a cylinder (this will remove air pockets).  Bake at 350 for 40-50 minutes or until a thermometer indicates an internal temperature of 155-160 degrees.  Remove from oven and let rest 10 minutes.  To serve slice and heat in sauce.

Sauce

1 c. chicken stock
1 c. beef stock
2 tb. Minced refrigerated garlic
3 tb. Butter

Combine all ingredients and cook over med-high heat until slightly reduced.  Place meatloaf slices in sauce to coat.  About 2 mins per side.

1 comment:

  1. I love that you are blogging! I now have good recipes that I can do. I think! If Sweet D likes it, then I know I will! love you!
    Kimberly Bunch

    ReplyDelete