Tuesday, May 17, 2011

I love Party Food!!!

Appetizers make me so happy.  It doesn't matter if you call them appetizers, hors d'oeuvres, small plates or party food.  I think the idea of just a little bit of food to keep you happy while you wait for the real deal is so appealing.  Crab cakes, shrimp cocktail, stuffed mushrooms, fried cheese, chips and salsa, sliders, texas fries, etc...  The list is endless.

I had never served appetizers at home until my sweet friend Lori.  Oh Lori!  If there is anyone I could be when I grow up I want to be her.  She is an amazing cook and host.  She makes party food like no one else.  I often wondered why dinner flows so well at her house.  The reasons are numerous and I have yet to figure it out completely except - she has the gift of hospitality - and she always has an appetizer or two.  You get to start stuffing your face the moment you walk in the door!

This one trick of making people at ease in my home is so simple - make them eat from the moment they arrive until they leave.  I always have something, it doesn't have to be home made.  Chips and salsa are always welcomed (around here anyway).

This recipe is one of my favorites!  It is so simple and what I call a dump recipe.  Just dump it all together and serve.


Oklahoma Caviar


2 (15oz) cans black eyed peas, drained
1 (15oz) can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 (10 oz) can of Rotel
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
½ cup chopped fresh jalapeno peppers
½ c. chopped onion (I used minced dried)
2 cloves minced garlic (I use refrigerated)
1 (8oz) bottle Italian dressing
1 (4oz) jar chopped pimentos, drained
fresh cilantro

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.  Refrigerate overnight.  Stir before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment